Application and required documents deadline for Fall 2017 admission is December 12th, 2016 Please note: The Gender Studies MA Program is suspended indefinitely.
ATTENTION APPLICANTS FOR FALL 2017 ADMISSIONS CYCLE
The UCLA Graduate Division has launched a new application system effective this admissions cycle, so please bear with us as we face the learning curve together! Note the following:
- The “Personal History Statement” is a diversity statement that accompanies the Cota Robles Fellowship. If you are eligible, please be make sure to submit this 1-2 page statement as the guidelines indicate.
- The Writing Sample is uploaded on that page of the application, and all other required documents should be uploaded to the page called “Supporting Documents”, preferably in this order (not required): Statement of Purpose, Supplementary Essay, CV
- Eligible fee waivers will be approved after the deadline of December 12th. In the meantime, be sure everything is uploaded to the site by that date.
Please email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or jenna@ gender.ucla.edu
Thank you for your patience!
All paper applications have been phased out. The online application is submitted through the UCLA Graduate Division: www.grad.ucla.edu
Application materials required by the Graduate Division and the Department of Gender Studies:
- Online application which includes submission of basic information, including your academic history and the degree program to which you wish to apply, as well as the application fee of $105 ($125 for international).
- Fellowship and Diversity application now called Personal History Statement (if you are eligible for Graduate Division fellowships).
- Transcripts (upload online AND mail 2 original hard copies to the Department of Gender Studies – address below)
- GRE scores (indicate scores on the online application; official scores will come directly to the Department)
- Three letters of recommendation are required by the Department of Gender Studies. Indicate a minimum of 3 names and emails for your recommenders.
Please upload these Gender Studies supplemental materials to the online application under “Supporting Documents”:
- Statement of Purpose
- Gender Studies Supplemental Essay
- CV or resume
Note that International Applicants are also required to submit: TOEFL scores and Confidential Financial Statement
Statement of Purpose - The statement of purpose is very important and is carefully considered in the selection process. Be concise and specific. It should be 3-pages double-spaced, and focus on what has brought you to pursuing a doctoral degree.
Fellowship Application - Available through the graduate division, please apply for all scholarships you feel are applicable. Be sure to include the Diversity Supplemental form if applicable (www.grad.ucla.edu).
Letters of Recommendation - Your recommenders will be sent an email request with instructions on how to submit their letters online. They do not need to mail hard copies.
Transcripts - Two official copies of transcripts from each institution attended are required. Note that the Admissions Committee expects a GPA of 3.5 or better for your junior and senior years. Transcript Request Forms are available to be printed and submitted to your college or university registrar(s). They must be sealed and have the official markings across the seal (this may be a signature or a sticker or stamp depending on the institution). Transcripts must be mailed to Gender Studies Graduate Program:
UCLA Department of Gender Studies
1120 Rolfe Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1504
GRE scores (not older than 5 years) - GRE Scores must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS) that administers the GRE tests (http://www.gre.org). Scores of 600 or better are expected. If you did not request they be sent to us when you took the test, you can contact them to send. Institutional code for UCLA: R4837; Department/Major Field Code : 2201 Social Sciences—Area, Ethnic and Gender Studies
CV or resume - include your current address, telephone number, email, your educational experience, and your work experience.
Gender Studies supplementary essay (in addition to the Statement of Purpose) - The Gender Studies Supplementary Essay should tell the admissions committee about your background in and proposed focus in Gender Studies – answer the question “Why Gender Studies?” It can also give the committee information about your work and professional experience. The essay should be no more than 3 double-spaced pages and should address the following:
- How did you become interested in Gender Studies?
- What work or academic experiences prompted you to apply for a graduate degree in Gender Studies?
- In what area of Gender Studies do you plan to specialize?
- What are your career goals?
Writing Sample - Research papers or other written materials (not to exceed 25 pages in length) expressing your academic or professional interests. These materials should not exceed 25 double-spaced pages.
TOEFL scores (required of international applicants whose first language is not English) - Official Score Reports can be ordered from ETS. Institutional code for UCLA: R4837; Department/Major Field Code : 2201 Social Sciences—Area, Ethnic and Gender Studies
Confidential Financial Statement (for international applicants only) - Access form at: www.grad.ucla.edu Note: International students are required to prove that they have access to approximately $36,000 for their first year of study.